problem with getting index as string

Jochen Katz katz____agentpp.com
Thu May 17 07:49:24 CEST 2001

Hi,

> If there is a predictable way the get_printable() works then I can do what
> you suggest.

sure, just look at the method to see which characters are assumed to be
printable.

> But it is not.

It is.

> Taking the two indices as examples, scheduler
> and nbcarchive, one has end of line character and the other does not.

This is because the first byte of one string is a new line character.

> Moreover, the get_printable() for scheduler has the hex values including the
> length and then the string ".scheduler" after many spaces.

This is because this string hat the 0x09 as first character which is not
printable.

> Essentially, it
> looks like
>
> "  09 73 63 68 65 64 75 6C 65 72^^^^^^^^^^^^^.scheduler"
>
> where ^ is a space.
>
> nbcarchive comes back as
>
> " (new line char)
> nbcarchive"

Your're not trying to convert "scheduler" but the string 0x09"scheduler"
and 0x0A"nbcarchive". So it is ok what get_printable does.

> The above code will give the string in dotted notation
> (9.115.99.104.101.100.117.108....)
   ^
Look at the 9 and think where it comes from and what get_printable()
would do with it.