Newbie question: generating v3 trap

Ram Krishnaswamy RKrishnaswamy____pathfire.com
Thu Sep 20 23:30:56 CEST 2001

Hello Doc,

I think you need to get the book "A Practical guide to SNMPv3" by
Zeltserman. This explains how to configure different tables to send SNMPv3
trap including the destinations etc. Other than that, the agent can use the
NotificationOriginator::generate method to send the trap with all the
correct parameters  filled in.

HTH.

Ram

-----Original Message-----
From: D. R. Evans [mailto:N7DR____arrl.net]
Sent: Thursday, September 20, 2001 1:57 PM
To: 'agentpp-dl____fock.de '
Subject: Newbie question: generating v3 trap

I am still at the stage of trying to understand some of the basics of how to

design and implement properly with agent++. I'm currently trying to
understand
how to send a v3 trap.

A search of the archives turns up the information that in order to send a v3

trap, one has to change snmpTargetParamsMPModel in the SNMP_TARGET_MIB.

So, the really dumb question is: can someone post a code fragment that does
this, because I sure don't understand how :-(

The example programs don't seem to be of much help in giving examples of how
one
can access the various sub-mibs. For example, they have lines like:

	mib.add(new snmp_target_mib());

OK. I guess that this means that SNMP_TARGET_MIB is now part of "mib", but
it
doesn't tell me how to talk to it from inside the agent. Perhaps there's an
example of this in the example programs, but I didn't see it.

I imagine that I use get_value() and set_value() somehow to achieve what I
want
to do....

And once the type of the trap is set to v3, it isn't obvious (to me) how to
set
the destination address. Does one have to go into the SNMP_TARGET_MIB and
change
it manually, or does add_v1_trap_destination perform the same function for
me,
but for v3 instead of v1 once snmpTargetParamsMPModel is set to v3?

Sorry to be so dense. It's the old story of "one example is worth 1,000
lines of
code or 10,000 words of explanation".

  Doc Evans

D.R. Evans N7DR / G4AMJ                      N7DR at arrl.net

A dead lawyer in a Colorado ski resort and an Australian detective
who doesn't play by the rules:
   "All Or Nothing" is now available.
See http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR/drevans.htp for details.