Newbie question: generating v3 trap

D. R. Evans N7DR____arrl.net
Fri Sep 21 00:04:51 CEST 2001

On 20 Sep 2001 at 17:30, Ram Krishnaswamy wrote:

> Hello Doc,
>
> I think you need to get the book "A Practical guide to SNMPv3" by
> Zeltserman. This explains how to configure different tables to send SNMPv3
> trap including the destinations etc. Other than that, the agent can use the
> NotificationOriginator::generate method to send the trap with all the
> correct parameters  filled in.

I understand SNMP :-) (well, mostly, anyway). And I know the values in the
SNMP_TARGET_MIB that correspond to the destination, etc.

I also understand how to use NO::generate() to actually send a trap, although
this isn't mentioned in the documentation at all.

What I don't understand is the mechanics of using agent++ so that I can actually
get to the SNMP_TARGET_MIB in order to change the type and destination.

The one example in the agent++ documentation is very helpful for doing some
things (adding new user-defined items to a MIB, accessing and changing that
value) -- although I note that it actually contains an error [in Figure 3, the
classname should be coffeeTemperature, not coffeePercolator].

Extrapolating from the example to process SET requests is easy enough. But there
is no hint (that I've seen) about how to access sub-mibs that don't correspond
to named variables in the agent. Having added a sub-mib with the statement:

  mib.add(new snmp_target_mib());

there is no corresponding name within scope by which to refer to the sub-mib.
This different from (for example):

  mib.add(&my_mib);

where I have an in-scope name for the sub-mib.

  Doc Evans

D.R. Evans N7DR / G4AMJ                      N7DR at arrl.net

A dead lawyer in a Colorado ski resort and an Australian detective
who doesn't play by the rules:
   "All Or Nothing" is now available.
See http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR/drevans.htp for details.