Newbie question: generating v3 trap

D. R. Evans N7DR____arrl.net
Sat Sep 22 01:16:49 CEST 2001

Well, I'm glad that the weekend is about to start.

I spent four hours today poring over the agent++ code trying to figure out how
to get to the snmp_target_mib once it's been added with the

mib.add(new snmp_target_mib());

command, and I still haven't been able to see how it's supposed to be done.

I simplified the problem I was trying to solve, because if I could only find out
how my agent was supposed to read values in the snmpTargetAddrTable, I could
work out everything from that point on. At this point, I'd be happy just to be
able to get to anything at all in the SNMP-TARGET-MIB that's been added to the
"mib" variable.

(Incidentally, in case it isn't clear, it's obvious how to get to it from a
manager by using the process_request() function in the agent. It's how to get at
it from inside the agent that I still don't understand.)

I really am not dense, although people here might be excused for thinking that I
am. I do understand SNMP, enough to be dangerous anyway; it's the "how to use
agent++ to do what I want" that I don't understand.

Incidentally, I did go out and buy the Zeltserman book, but it just seems to be
a mid-level rewrite of parts of the RFCs, along with some background to provide
context. I haven't seen anything in there that helps me understand the
practicalities of using agent++ :-(

It is clear to me from the archives that other people have cottoned on to using
agent++ more or less instantly; I'm obvously missing something very, very
elementary and once the answer becomes known I shall kick myself hard. I'm not
blaming agent++ at all -- it looks excellent -- it's my own inability to see the
trick in using it that annoys me more than anything.

Anyway, it's the weekend and I'm going to try not to think about this stuff for
a day or two.

  Doc Evans

D.R. Evans N7DR / G4AMJ                      N7DR at arrl.net

A dead lawyer in a Colorado ski resort and an Australian detective
who doesn't play by the rules:
   "All Or Nothing" is now available.
See http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR/drevans.htp for details.