Question regarding OID and table index

ABY PHILIP abyp____nestec.net
Sat Mar 16 11:12:38 CET 2002

Hi,

i have a doubt regarding OIDs used as index. I came across an MIB / agent
that has OIDs as index of tables in it. However, the description of the
variable says the OID has only 3 sub identifiers and may not start with
"1.3". The SNMP library we are using encodes all the OIDs as if they are
starting with 1.3 - i.e. as 0x2B. The net result is, when we perform GET on
the index variable we get incorrect values as OID.

Now, the following are my questions -

1. Does a SNMP Manager ever needs to GET index variables?

2. Is it ok to have OIDs that do not start with "1.3". I know the first sub
id may be 0,1 or 2 but is any other permitted.

3. Is it reasonable to expect snmp libraries to decode OIDs of both type -
that start with 1.3 OR do not -  to decode them differently.

Has any one come across this kind of problem before?

thanks for your time
Aby