Question regarding OID and table index

Frank Fock Frank.Fock____t-online.de
Sat Mar 16 12:38:49 CET 2002

Hi Aby,

OIDs *must* start with 1.3. Index OIDs are never transported over the
wire. When you reference a specific row of a table in SNMP you
*always* provide the OBJECT-TYPE OID prefix (object class OID)
plus the instance index OID suffix (instance identifier). Thus, following
the above rules there should not be any problem.

OIDs not starting with 1.3 cannot be BER encoded nor decoded
correctly. Thus, they cannot be transported over the wire.

Hope this helps.