Proxy Agent subtree parsing

Jochen Katz katz____agentpp.com
Thu May 16 00:02:51 CEST 2002

Hi,

> Nope, I haven't any overlaped subtrees defined. Now I don't know if the
> agent++ have his own objects within subtrees.

you can easy test this if you do a walk on the agent without the proxy
mib entry. ;-)

> I've tooked your examples
> (snmp_proxy) and have modified for our needs. If you want, I can send you
> my class.

You can send it to me through private mail.

> I have no problems on agents with small trees, but if I check on windows
> snmp agent or cisco routers it seems that after some tables the proxy agent
> stop formwarding requests (as is mentioned in the log).

 From the code in mib_proxy.cpp, I can't see a reason why it should do
that. As you write "after some tables": Does the agent then even stop
forwarding requests it forwarded before? What do you get if you do a get
request on the first proxied object? Are there any hints in the logging
output for the last request, that the agent forwarded?

> Do you know why my proxy agent stops contacting the cisco agent, although
> it has forwarded all requests until 1.3.6.1.2.1.11.32 ? As I understand,
> if I tell my proxy agent that the subtree 1.3.6.1.2.1 goes to the ip address
> 10.1.8.1, all requests within this subtree must be forwarded to this host.

It should be like you described.

> In you opinion must I use the old proxy object or go further with the proxy
> forwarder ?

There is no must. As long as the subtrees of the proxied agents don't
overlap you're not forced to use the proxy forwarder. On the other hand,
the proxy forwarder wold add a few nice features (remote configuration).

Kind regards,