Proxy Agent subtree parsing

soudovtsev____bluewin.ch soudovtsev____bluewin.ch
Wed May 15 10:35:08 CEST 2002

Hi Jochen,
Thank you for your reply.
I'll answer your questions inline :

>Hi,
>
>> I have a little problem using a proxy agent, not all subtrees are parsed
>> when I execute an snmpwalk command. What I've done is the following :

>> - Create a Proxy Agent using MibProxy object (so it's an old style).

>> - For each proxied agent I specify a subtree he exposes, the community
>and
>> the ip address.
>
>did you specify overlaped subtrees or does your agent++ mib have own
>objects within the subtrees?

Nope, I haven't any overlaped subtrees defined. Now I don't know if the
agent++ have his own objects within subtrees. I've tooked your examples
(snmp_proxy) and have modified for our needs. If you want, I can send you
my class.

>> - The code to add a proxied agent information in the proxy agent is :

>>        MibProxy* mp = new MibProxy( ( LPCTSTR ) subtree, READCREATE,
hostUdpAddress
>> );
>>        mp->set_community( READING, ( LPCTSTR ) readCommunity );
>>        mp->set_community( WRITING, ( LPCTSTR ) writeCommunity );
>>        m_mib.add( mp ); //m_mib is a Mib object
>
>I just added similar code to one of the examples and had no problems.
>Are you using the current version of agent++?

I have no problems on agents with small trees, but if I check on windows
snmp agent or cisco routers it seems that after some tables the proxy agent
stop formwarding requests (as is mentioned in the log).

>> I have tried the proxy agent on a Cisco router (in the proxy agent I
expose
>> 1.3.6.1.2.1 subtree). When I execute snmpwalk on my proxy agent I only
>receive
>> oids from 1.3.6.1.2.1.1.1.1 to 1.3.6.1.2.1.11.32. When I execute snmpwalk
>> on the router agent I got oids to 1.3.6.1.2.1.52.2.1
>> It seems that after the table 11 the proxy agent cannot find the rest
of
>> tables, and, according to the log, the proxy agent searches for the rest
>> in another mib table
>
> From your log, I can see is that the agent does not try to contact the

>Cisco agent (although it should do that) and does not have the requested
>
>oid in is own mib.

Do you know why my proxy agent stops contacting the cisco agent, although
it has forwarded all requests until 1.3.6.1.2.1.11.32 ? As I understand,
if I tell my proxy agent that the subtree 1.3.6.1.2.1 goes to the ip address
10.1.8.1, all requests within this subtree must be forwarded to this host
>Does one of my hints above solve your problem?

In you opinion must I use the old proxy object or go further with the proxy
forwarder ?

>Kind regards,
>   Jochen

Thank you and kind regards,