When target address is broadcast address...

Jochen Katz katz____agentpp.com
Wed Apr 16 23:14:35 CEST 2003

Hi,

>> I did a quick hack in snmp++ to allow async get and getnext
>> requests to a broadcast address if SNMP_BROADCAST is enabled in
>> config_snmp_pp.h and Snmp::get[_next]() functions called with true
>> as new last param.
>
> How would you handle secure requests in SNMPv3 in this
> scenario...(referring to snmpMsgID, snmpEngineID, and security
> parameters, for example)...?

good point, the above works only for SNMPv1 and v2c.
A SNMPv3 request message with a zero length engine id would trigger a
report from all agents. So an easy way to do a "SNMPv3 agent discovery"
could be to build such a magic message, send it out using an own socket
and watch for the responses of which only the source-address is interesting.

Is there any tool out there, that does this already?