Max. varbinds of PDU

Jochen Katz katz____agentpp.com
Wed May 14 23:55:29 CEST 2003

Hi,

before you do a new test: remove all libs and object files and do a
complete rebuild of snmp++, agent++ and your agent. Don't miss any
shared libs.

>> How do I get not more than 57 varbinds from a GetBulkRequest ?

Setting the max repetitions value to more than 57 ;-)

>> I suppose I have to configure some more parameters.

No, changing PDU_MAX_VBS and MAX_SNMP_PACKET is all you have to do.

> I think that the  first job is to sectionalize the problem.  That is, do
> we know for a fact that Agent++/SNMP++ is not generating a response with
>  >57 varbinds?

I know that it can send up to PDU_MAX_VBS in a Pdu. I checked it with a
simple table and the number of Vbs were only limited through the packet
size.

>  Or is it possible that the UCD-SNMP snmpbulkget is not
> able to deal with a response that has >57 varbinds (or is >N bytes) --
> ie. does it have an equivalent to MAX_SNMP_PACKET?

UCD-SNMP can deal with more than 57 varbinds. The default max
repetitions is set to 100. But for SNMPv3 it sets the "Message max size"
to 1472 (here on my system).

> Can you capture the complete message and decode it -- an ugly job, I
> know! -- to see whether it really has only 57 varbinds?

You could also use the consoleExample snmpBulk.

>  If it does,
> then the problem is in Agent++; if not, it's in UCD-SNMP.

To check what's going wrong, first look for the log message
"RequestList: response tooBig, truncating it" of the agent. Then you
could add some debug messages to Request::add_rep_row().