Traps sending from the Sub AgentX

soudovtsev____bluewin.ch soudovtsev____bluewin.ch
Mon May 19 13:53:07 CEST 2003

Thanks Frank,

>the AgentX subagent uses the SNMP-TARGET-MIB
>and SNMP-NOTIFICATION-MIB settings of the master
>agent to determine the target address(es) for
>a notification. Thus, the master sends the
>notification/inform and it is done using the
>NotificationOriginator.
>
>More comments inline:
>
>soudovtsev____bluewin.ch wrote:
>> Hi Frank,
>>
>> I have a problem receiving v1 traps generated by notify method of SubAgentX
>> mib.
>> I use Patrol (BMC Software) as trap deamon and it seems that trap generated
>> by notify method are not received by Patrol.
>> Although traps generated by the Master AgentX with NotificationOriginator
>> and using SNMP trap method are received without problems.
>>
>> Is there any difference between traps created by notify method and those
>> created by NotificationOriginator of snmp trap method ?
>>

>Not really. The notification is transferred to the master
>and then send in exactly the same way as a local notification.

Ok so the format and the syntax doesn't change ? It's strange, because it
seems that Patrol can't receive traps sent from the Sub Agent through the
Master. Other traps are received...

>> If I try to send exactly identic trap with snmp trap method, Patrol receives
>> it.
>>
>> My next question is about trap destinations.
>> When I use SubAgentX mib's notify method to send a trap, where the Master
>> Agent picks the destination addresses ? Considering the fact that I have
>> not set any rows in snmp_notification_mib.
>>
>Then the notification will not be sent.

Sure, but my Master Agent sent a start trap using NotificationOriginator
and I think that it sets the trap destination addresses to snmp_notification_mib,
right ?

By the way, how can I remove persistency for snmp_target_mib and snmp_notification_mib
?

Thanks,
Anton.