Traps sending from the Sub AgentX

Frank Fock Frank.Fock____t-online.de
Sun May 18 18:24:22 CEST 2003

Hi Anton,

the AgentX subagent uses the SNMP-TARGET-MIB
and SNMP-NOTIFICATION-MIB settings of the master
agent to determine the target address(es) for
a notification. Thus, the master sends the
notification/inform and it is done using the
NotificationOriginator.

More comments inline:

soudovtsev____bluewin.ch wrote:
> Hi Frank,
>
> I have a problem receiving v1 traps generated by notify method of SubAgentX
> mib.
> I use Patrol (BMC Software) as trap deamon and it seems that trap generated
> by notify method are not received by Patrol.
> Although traps generated by the Master AgentX with NotificationOriginator
> and using SNMP trap method are received without problems.
>
> Is there any difference between traps created by notify method and those
> created by NotificationOriginator of snmp trap method ?

Not really. The notification is transferred to the master
and then send in exactly the same way as a local notification.

> If I try to send exactly identic trap with snmp trap method, Patrol receives
> it.
>
> My next question is about trap destinations.
> When I use SubAgentX mib's notify method to send a trap, where the Master
> Agent picks the destination addresses ? Considering the fact that I have
> not set any rows in snmp_notification_mib.

Then the notification will not be sent.