[AGENT++] Can Agentpp support table index starting at Zero

Henning Eggers henning.eggers at plath.de
Wed Oct 22 08:18:49 CEST 2003

[Table index starting at zero]
> >  Is this a good practice?
> >

> No. It should be avoided if possible, but that's only a convention.
I stick to that convention, too, but I thought about it when I read this
question. The obvious reason for this convention is to avoid confusion
between scalar and columnar objects. But if the index is an Octet-String and
the last octet of that string is zero (e.g. an IP-Adress like 192.168.10.0 )
it would produce an OID with the last identifier being a zero. Other
examples could be thought of, even without using Octet-Strings. I also had a
look into the Perkins/McGinnis book and found no mention of this convention.
I guess it is not a real strong convention.

Regards,
Henning