[AGENT++] NTCIP over serial link

Cheney, Christian CheneyC at wsdot.wa.gov
Wed Oct 22 17:40:00 CEST 2003

Hello,
First off, I would just like to give a sincere Thank you to Mr. Fock and
everyone involved with this project.  The work appears tremendous, and I
believe that it can be very beneficial to our system.

Let me introduce you to our system, as far as snmp is concerned.  We have
several NTCIP devices in the field that are connected via 9600 baud serial
link.  I would like to use the agent++ and snmp++ libraries as a code base
for our comm system.  I have looked through the code, and there does not
appear to be functionality currently existing for serial communications.
However, it does not look like it would be very difficult to add.  Yet, I
would like to avoid reinventing the wheel, if possible.

By the way, for those unfamiliar with NTCIP, it is a traffic device
communication protocol based on snmp.

Has there been some work done towards serial communications for this
library?  If not, where should I start in the process of adding it?

Thank you once again for your help.

Christian Cheney, ITAS
NWR WSDOT