[AGENT++] Using SNMP++ commercially

Frank Fock fock at agentpp.com
Fri Apr 2 21:41:39 CEST 2004

Fedja,

Mr. AWD wrote:

> Well, to add to the subject, I would like to know about the SNMPV3
> parts that need to be in there (for either SNMP++ or AGENT++) like
> DES, IDEA, RSAEURO, TOMCRIPT.
>
> Here is the scoop. It seems like DES and RSAEURO are similar modules
> and they are need for the V3 support. The main difference regarding
> the subject is that DES can be freely used, while RSAEURO require
> purchase of a license. Right?

Yes, that's true.

> Now, there is an IDEA (which is disabled by default) and requires a
> license from the MediaCryptAG for the commercial use. Do we need this
> in order to have V3 support?

No, you can use SNMPv3 with DES only. If you want IDEA encryption, you
will need
to purchase the license, but I would rather use AES which provides even
stronger
encryption.

> Then there is TOMCRIPT (and also TOMMATH I think) that I don't know
> what is it for. Anyone care to enlighten this?

It is used for AES encryption. AFAIK (Jochen is more up-to-date here),
the library that is provided on the AGENT++ can be used for free.

> So, the final question is what of these modules are required for the
> V3 implementation and which are free for the commercial use?

DES is required for SNMPv3. Anything else is optional (to be 100%
correct, DES is
also optional and can be replaced by any other privacy protocol, but
most SNMPv3
implementations use DES).