[AGENT++] AgentX design question

Frank Fock fock at agentpp.com
Sat Aug 21 00:22:21 CEST 2004

Hi Dave,

Dave Mason wrote:

> Hi,
> I have a monolithic agent with some proprietary MIBs that I'm
> converting to use with AgentX.  The reason is that I may have other
> subagents that need to attach to a master agent.  One approach is to
> leave my proprietary MIBs in the master agent, and not use subagents
> unless I need to connect another one for some reason.  The other would
> be to keep the master agent small, and put my proprietary MIBs in a
> new subagent which would run all the time.  Which do you like?

I would leave the code in the master agent, except if one of your tables
should be extended by a subagent using the AgentX shared table
mechanism. The advantage of leaving the instrumentation in the
master is performance. The disadvantage is less flexibility and probably
less availability (a subagent might be easier rebooted).

> While I'm here, I took a look at the mailing list archive for the
> first time in a while, and I dont see how to search it like you used
> to.  Is that still possible?

There is direct search function, but Google or another search engine should
work too.