[AGENT++] Can somebody explain the subagent reconnection mechanism?

Andreas Vinsander andreas.vinsander at teligent.se
Thu Feb 12 17:27:49 CET 2004

Hi!
Reading the docs for agentX++ I found the following:
-----------<snip>
MIB initialization can be done likewise to AGENT++. The
SubAgentXMib::init() method
loads any persistent data from disk and then opens the connection to the
master agent.
In contrast to Mib::init() it may thus return FALSE if the connection
could not have been
established. This behavior can be used to implement a subagent that
tries to reconnect
to its master agent once a connection got broken. A prerequisite for
this is that the
SIGTERM signal is handled but ignored by the subagent.
-----------<end snip>

Is this true? Should a library really use signals to communicate events?

We are right now trying to decide what agentX library to use in an
application built upon an existing framework (signalhandlers are used
way down in that framework to capture and act upon signals from the
surrounding, SIGTERM is treated as an attempt to stop the application).
Reading the statement above I would say agentX++ is not suited for us,
correct?

Are there other ways to handle reconnection attempts towards the master
agent from an application using agentX++?

/Andreas Vinsander