[AGENT++] MSG ID clarification in Inform

Shrikanth D shrikanthd23 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 3 13:54:52 CEST 2004

Hello,

I am facing a problem in using 'Inform' messages.
And also am doubtful whether my understanding of Inform and the snmp++ implementation is correct. I request you to kindly clarify.

We have a upper network manager (UNMS) communicating with a lower network manager (LNMS) using snmpV3.

When the UNMS issues a get request to the LNMS, in the snmp++ cache of UNMS, an entry is added with msgid = 10000, which remains there till a response/report is received from LNMS

Now at the same time, if the LNMS issues a Inform request to the UNMS and the  msgid of this Inform request is 10000 (generated in LNMS), then on receiving this Inform request the UNMS will again add an entry in its cache with msgid = 10000.

So there will be two entries in the cache of UNMS with msgid 10000. The same can happen in LNMS also.
This needless to say causes many problems, yielding the "SNMPv3: Message does not match known message" error.

Could you kindly clarify, if the usage of Inform in this manner is wrong, or whether we really have a problem here.

Thanks and regards,
Shrikanth