[AGENT++] Adding rows to MibTable?!?

Jacek Marynowski j.maryno at lycos.de
Wed Jun 23 13:53:29 CEST 2004

First post here.
So hello to you all.
I've been working with agent++, agentx++ and snmp++ api for two month now and with the available
online documentation plus the included examples, everything seems to be quite simple for the development
of our snmp capable agent.
But there's one thing I cannot clearly comprehend. The implementation of tables and furthermore adding new
rows to the table.
Let me tell you about my problem, so it will be hopefully more clear.
Our snmp agent is supposed to monitor processes in ram. Agent should also be able to kill one or more processes
if desired. The written mib file (digest) looks like this:

processTable OBJECT-TYPE
   SYNTAX                 SEQUENCE OF ProcessEntry
   MAX-ACCESS         not-accessible
   STATUS                  current
   DESCRIPTION       ""
   ::= {ramObjects 1}

processEntry OBJECT-TYPE
   SYNTAX                 ProcessEntry
   MAX-ACCESS         not-accessible
   STATUS                  current
   DESCRIPTION       ""
   ::= {processTable 1}

ProcessEntry ::= SEQUENCE
{
   processID                    Unsigned32,
   user                             DisplayString,
   memUtilisation            DisplayString,
   processStatus             RowStatus,
}

The object definitions for processID, user, memUtilisation and processStatus are as expected so I don't figure
them out here.

OK. Whenever a network management console polls the complete processTable, the agent shall perform a ram
query and add the received values as rows into the mib table (processTable). And if the console polls
the same request (a few hours) later, then agent shall delete the old rows from processTable and perform
a new ram query to fill the table again.
And this is what I do not comprehend to accomplish.
Can this actually done with agentpp api's?
I've got some code construct for the above written mib file generated by agentgen. I've also taken a look into
the implementations of snmp_target_mib and v3_mib as this was a hint to a table related question a few threads
earlier.
Nevertheless I just do not know where to start implementing that kind of mib instrumentation.
I hope I could make my problem clear to you.

Any kind of help will be appreciated
Jacek Marynowski