[AGENT++] Some basic questions

Frank Fock fock at agentpp.com
Thu Jun 24 09:14:08 CEST 2004

Sushma,

Sushma wrote:

>Thank you for all the help so far. I have some questions (I have just started to work on this so are very basic)
>I really appreciate all the timely help.
>
>1. In the atm_mib example, what is the MIB used? As when I do snmpNext it always gives the
>sysDescr as specified in agent.cpp. I guess because it is default OID. Which MIB is it using?
>

>And where is it being loaded?

Your question should be "what MIB modules does it implement?". An agent
does not load
any MIBs. The atm example implements, among others, the ATM-MIB.

>2. In agent++, there is one folder called mibs that has about 9 MIBs.
>Where(which examples) are these MIBs used?

Most of the MIBs are implemented by the AGENT++ framework. They are used by
many examples. Take a look at the agent.cpp file and you will find it
out easily.

>3. In agent++, under examples - What is the function of command_execution_mib? Does it use the cmd_exe_mib MIB under the mibs folder?

It implements the MIB, yes.

>4. You said more than one agent can be running at a given time. How can I do that? Do I configure each agent at a different port? If so what all port numbers can I use? And is there a way to dump users from the manager?

Provide a different port at the command line. You can use any value
between 1 and 65535,
but some ports are already in use (see your etc/services file) and for
ports <1024 you will need
root privileges.

>5. How to add users to the the manager/agent?

That depends on your manager. For the agent, you can use SNMP or configure
it within the agent. (See the agent.cpp of the ATM example for instance)

>6. How to configure the USM UserTable of the agent?

See above.

>7. Can I configure each agent with a different configuration for VACM?

Yes, of course.

>8. Can I restrict v1/v2 users from accessing the enterprise MIB (atm_mib)?

Yes.

>9. Is the log the one that gets printed on command prompt when I run the agent?

Yes.