[AGENT++] Building Agent++ library in borland C++ ( 5.01)

Vinoth vinoth at isoftel.com
Sat Mar 13 14:40:28 CET 2004

Hi all,

 I tried building Agent++ library in borland C++ (5.01) and make (4.0).

Please find the steps followed/changes made in compiling the libraries.

Please help me to solve the below problems, in building snmp++ & agent++
library.

Build libdes library.
=============
     I was not able to build libdes library, with the make file given. I
don't have an option make bcc.!! . So I includes all the libdes source file
in the borland IDE, and was able to compile the lib file.

Build snmp++ library
================
1) MAKE Version 4.0  Copyright (c) 1987, 1996 Borland International
Fatal: '..\include\config.h' does not exist - don't know how to make it

    So changed the makefile.bcc to include "config_snmp_pp.h" , instead of
"config.h".

2) Error ..\include\config_snmp_pp.h 140: Unknown preprocessor directive:
'warning'
    Error ..\include\config_snmp_pp.h 149: Unknown preprocessor directive:
'warning'
    Error ..\include\config_snmp_pp.h 158: Unknown preprocessor directive:
'warning'

    - Commented out the above mentioned lines in the file "
..\include\config_snmp_pp.h"

3) Error address.cpp 825: Call to undefined function 'inet_aton' in function
IpAddress::addr_to_friendly()

In "config_snmp_pp.h", added new check as mentioned below

// We have inet_aton() function if not compiling with VC++ or Borland C++
#ifndef _MSC_VER
#ifndef __BCPLUSPLUS__
#define HAVE_INET_ATON
#endif
#endif

4) Error uxsnmp.cpp 1828: Two operands must evaluate to the same type in
function S
nmp::broadcast_discovery(SnmpCollection<UdpAddress> &,const int,const
UdpAddress
 &,const snmp_version,const OctetStr *)
Error uxsnmp.cpp 1829: Could not find a match for
'SnmpMessage::load(Pdu,undefin
ed,const snmp_version)' in function
Snmp::broadcast_discovery(SnmpCollection<Udp
Address> &,const int,const UdpAddress &,const snmp_version,const OctetStr *)

 changed the ternary operator to standard if-else statements.

5) Error v3.cpp 37: Unable to open include file 'unistd.h'
Error v3.cpp 318: Call to undefined function '_unlink' in function
saveBootCount
er(const char *,const OctetStr &,const unsigned int)

made the changes in V3.cpp

#ifndef _MSC_VER
#ifndef __BCPLUSPLUS__
#include <unistd.h>
#endif
#endif

As , V3 is not our requirement, we changed the config_snmp_pp.h as follows

// define _NO_SNMPv3 here or in the Makefile if you do not want to use
SNMPv3
// (default is to use SNMPv3)
#define _NO_SNMPv3

6)Then, when I tried to make, I got an error as "Command line arguments too
long". So I upgraded the make file version to 5.2.

7) MAKE Version 5.2  Copyright (c) 1987, 2000 Borland
        tlib ..\lib\snmp_pp.lib /a address.obj counter.obj ctr64.obj
gauge.obj i
nteger.obj octet.obj   oid.obj pdu.obj target.obj timetick.obj vb.obj
asn1.obj s
nmpmsg.obj   uxsnmp.obj eventlist.obj msgqueue.obj userdefined.obj
usertimeout.o
bj   msec.obj notifyqueue.obj sha.obj v3.obj usm_v3.obj mp_v3.obj idea.obj
aut
h_priv.obj reentrant.obj md5c.obj
TLIB 4.00 Copyright (c) 1987, 1996 Borland International
Warning: unknown command line switch 'a' ignored

Error: unexpected char 'a' in command line

 - I tried commenting out '/a' switch from the makefile.bcc, but was not
successful...

Can anyone suggest me a way, to overcome the above error...

Build agent++ library
===============

Then I tried compiling agent++.  After many warning on "inline functions". I
got the following errors.

Error ..\include\List.h 1261: 'clone' is not a member of 'TaskManager' in
functi
on Array<TaskManager>::clone()
Error ..\include\List.h 1273: 'clone' is not a member of 'TaskManager' in
functi
on Array<TaskManager>::operator =(const Array<TaskManager> &)

Error ..\include\List.h 1272: Too many error or warning messages in template
Arr
ay<MibEntry>
*** 3 errors in Compile ***

        tlib /P32 ..\lib\agent_pp.lib /a mib.obj log.obj threads.obj
tools.obj m
ib_entry.obj snmp_group.obj   request.obj snmp_pp_ext.obj snmp_request.obj
mib_p
roxy.obj   snmp_counters.obj system_group.obj   mib_avl_map.obj mib_map.obj
mib_
context.obj   v3_mib.obj vacm.obj snmp_textual_conventions.obj
snmp_target_mib
.obj snmp_notification_mib.obj   notification_originator.obj avl_map.obj
map.obj
 sim_mib.obj   agentpp_simulation_mib.obj mib_policy.obj
snmp_proxy_mib.obj sn
mp_community_mib.obj   mib_complex_entry.obj proxy_forwarder.obj
notification_lo
g_mib.obj
TLIB 4.00 Copyright (c) 1987, 1996 Borland International
Warning: unknown command line switch 'a' ignored

Error: unexpected char 'm' in command line

** error 1 ** deleting agent_pp.lib

Please advice, on how to solve the above errors in building agent++??

Expecting your earliest reply,

Thanks in advance,

Vinoth