[AGENT++] Max SNMP message size

Shrikanth D shrikanthd23 at yahoo.com
Mon May 24 16:29:29 CEST 2004

Hi,

I was trying to arrive at the maximum value that I can set to the MAX_SNMP_PACKET and PDU_MAX_VBS variables in order to enhance the performance of my application.

But I seem to have a few problems there as my application very soon gave a stack overflow exception.
I have the following queries in relation to that.

1. MAXLENGTH_BUFFER is used at many places to define all buffers including those for names (which may atmost require only [255] bytes) etc.
Why then is the macro MAXLENGTH_BUFFER, defined as the MAX_SNMP_PACKET?
This takes up a lot of space on stack.

2. My application runs both on solaris Ultra60 and windows X86, with a minimum memory of 256MB.
What are the recommended and safe values for MAX_SNMP_PACKET and PDU_MAX_VBS?

3. Is there a general relation formula that you have observed, that if PDU_MAX_VBS = 'n', then MAX_SNMP_PACKET has to be in the minimum, 'x' bytes?

Thanks and regards,
Shrikanth