[AGENT++] snmp_pp version 2.6

Jochen Katz katz at agentpp.com
Thu Apr 28 19:16:53 CEST 2005

Hi,

> I got some old clients using snmp_pp version 2.6, that I can't upgrade.
> Now I'm upgrading the new clients to verison 2.8.
> Lets consider this hypothetical scenario, we install an old client(using
> 2.6), then install a a new client(using 2.8) on the same machine, the
> version 2.6 dll will be replaced by the 2.8 version.
> Now the old clients will be inadvertently calling functions in dll version
> 2.8, though they were not compiled for it.

note, that 2.8 is very, very old and no longer supported by anyone. To
know what will happen if a 2.6 program runs with 2.8 you will have to
compare the snmp++ sources from 2.6 and 2.8.
See http://www.trolltech.com/developer/faqs/technical.html#q110 for a
list of which changes are safe and which not.

> What do you think will be the impact on the old clients who expect a
> version 2.6 to be running ? crash ?? faulty behavior ??

I would expect a crash.