[AGENT++] SNMP++ advocacy

maom_onet at poczta.onet.pl maom_onet at poczta.onet.pl
Thu Jan 6 15:36:59 CET 2005

Hi Arun,

of course this is list biased as there are mainly SNMP++ users. But I would recommend to go on and also send your question to the net-snmp or comp.protocols.snmp lists to hear opinions from other sides.

I had been using net-snmp in the past, successfully. However, after some time we switched to SNMP++ - maybe because we decided to use Agent++ for agent development. What I personally can say (assuming you mean manager-side development, i.e., SNMP++ vs. net-snmp, not Agent++ vs. net-snmp agent) is as follows:
- net-snmp has support for MIBs and this is its great advantage
- it has an integrated Perl library (does SNMP++ have one?)
- one the other side, I find net-snmp interface unordered, low-level and difficult to use: There are many people modifying it, there is an old API and a new one, etc. SNMP++ is maintained in an ordered way, and the interface is well-defined.
- SNMP++ uses C++ - I am not convinced if this is an advantage in itself but the outcome is really clean and intuitive interface. If you are familiar with SNMP, just by looking at classes & member functions you know how you should use it. The C++ version used is somehow old-fashioned (no exceptions) but at the same time it is easier to use
- SNMP++ is MT-safe (when properly used; I believe that at least most reads are MT-safe - Johen, Frank, could you confirm?), net-snmp is definitely not. I had an attempt to develop a MT-safe COM component in the past and it required much care and tricks
- finally, if you develop your managers on Windows, maybe you will decide to switch to .NET (a bit of self-advertising ;-) ) - you have an open-source library for .NET that is based on SNMP++ (and uses the same API and concepts).

That's all what immediately comes to my mind. But if this is a strategic decision, try to develop a moderately complex manager app with two toolkits and you will see the difference.

Marek