[AGENT++] how to change default community?

Frank Fock fock at agentpp.com
Wed Dec 27 19:52:18 CET 2006

Jungsu,

Jungsu Byun wrote:
> Thanks for your quick response, But I still have a problem.
> 1) I turned on 'SNMPv3' when compile agent++ library,
>
> but I don't use SNMP-COMMUNITY-MIB

Although AGENT++ supports your approach, it is not
100% SNMPv3 standard conform. Besides less flexibility
for the end-user, I see no drawback with your approach.
Rather than, your "light-weight" approach requires
less configuration.

> 2) RequestList::set_read/write_community functions
>
> doesn't work, because I turned on 'SNMPv3' option.

Yes, that is the consequence of turning on SNMPv3.
But no problem, see below...

> 3) I  want to disable default community string 'public/public' because of
> securyti problem,
>
> and add  user define string ( ex: community/community )
>
> How can I do?

When there is no SNMP-COMMUNITY-MIB, AGENT++ directly uses the
security name as community. As mentioned above, this approach
is not supported by the SNMPv3 standard, but it provides
a convenient approach for backward compatibility without
reducing security.

So if your agent accepts "public" community, then watch out
for a "public" security name with SNMPv1/v2c view and then
change that security name. Hope this helps.