[AGENT++] SNMP++ instrumentation

Jochen Katz katz at agentpp.com
Wed Feb 22 23:14:11 CET 2006

Hi Dave,

> I'm working on an application that's using SNMP++ & agent++, which is
> both a manager & agent.  I was wondering why the snmp mib tables like
> snmpTargetMIB appear to be populated by the agent++ side when
> requests are made of the agent by other managers, but the manager
> component (snmp++) does not appear to update these tables with its
> target, packets in\out counts, good\bad response count etc.  What am
> I doing wrong?

you're doing nothing wrong, snmp++ just does not collect statistics, as
a manager should react to errors immediately. I don't think that
statistics are useful here, as you would have to store statistics for
each target. And for the following usage...

> This type of info would be most useful to allow polling control, say
> on when a remote agent does not respond repeatedly.

.. I think the application (your code ;-) can do this much better than
any code within snmp++.