[AGENT++] Problem with security level AuthPriv trap

Jochen Katz katz at agentpp.com
Wed Jul 12 21:31:39 CEST 2006

Hi,

> I am sending traps using Snmpx::trap function. When using security level
> AuthNoPriv everything works fine. Also, with AuthPriv, mibbrowser is able to
> connect here and browse through mib. But with AuthPriv the trap function
> returns success whereas I see no trap at receiving end. Since function is
> returning success can I be assured that trap has been sent correctly?

yes, you can be sure, that the trap was sent correct, but you don't know
 what the other side does with the received message, as no response has
to be sent back to the agent.

> I did the following:

This looks ok, although some of your steps are not needed (see
snmpTraps.cpp example)

> Is there some way of finding out what eventually gets sent?

You can recompile snmp++ and agent++ with _DEBUG defined and set the
logging values to 15.

> I am going to try packet sniffer to see if it will help.
> I am not sure if I am sending incorrectly or receiving incorrectly. please
> help

A packet sniffer is always a good idea. You also can switch from trap to
inform. Then the manager has to send a response and you will possibly
see a decryption or authentication error report.