[AGENT++] more that one agent++ application on same system

Frank Fock fock at agentpp.com
Fri Sep 29 22:22:07 CEST 2006

Hi Dario,

Dario maljur wrote:

> What happens if there are more that one agent++ applications In one system,
> but on different ports.
>
> Do I have to make one Agent (like master agent) that communicates with NMS
> on port, say 161?

No, only if your NMS cannot handle non-default ports.

> IF that is so, How does NMS choose witch system he want's to access?

If it cannot differentiate different ports, it will hardly
be able to handle different SNMPv3 contexts.

The only way out, will then be using different communities
for each agent. The master agent could then dispatch the
requests based on the community. This is done in an AgentX++
master by configuration of the SNMP-COMMUNITY-MIB and by
choosing the corresponding contexts for the AgentX sub-agents.

> Example:
>
> Say the MasterAgent use port 161 where NMS sees it. NMS sees MasterAgent and
> SET some info in
>
> It's MIB tree (like OctetStr someName). MasterAgent listens for about 4-5
> subAgents that resides in software
>
> That is managed, but on different ports. NMS want's to SET someName on
> subagent 3 and sends SET on MasterAgent.
>
> How can MasterAgent know witch subagent NMS wan't to access?

See above.