[AGENT++] Problem using net-snmp as subagent (Error in packet)

Johnny Ljunggren johnny at navtek.no
Fri Feb 2 23:37:55 CET 2007

Hello

I've made a master AgentX that uses net-snmp as subagent to provide mib-II
information. I get a general failure if I try to get some of the OIDs.
This only occurs when running net-snmp as subagent, because it will return
the whole tree if running standalone.

# snmpwalk -v 2c -c public localhost
<snip some output>
IF-MIB::ifOutQLen.2 = Gauge32: 0
IF-MIB::ifOutQLen.3 = Gauge32: 0
Error in packet.
Reason: (genError) A general failure occured
Failed object: IF-MIB::ifOutQLen.3

# snmpwalk -v 2c -c public localhost IF-MIB::ifOutQLen.3
Error in packet.
Reason: (genError) A general failure occured
Failed object: IF-MIB::ifOutQLen.3

My agent outputs this:
20070202.22:25:53: 567: (1)ERROR  : MasterAgentXMib: invalid AgentX response
(sd)(sid)(tid)(req-vbs)(resp-vbs): (15), (1), (96), (1), (0)

I've tried using the plain master agent from the examples directory, and
net-snmp 5.3.1 and 5.4 but the results are the same.

I'd appreciate some help on resolving this issue.
Where will the problem likely be?
What are the usual reasons for this?
Are there any other implementations of mib-II that I can use instead of
net-snmp?

best regards
--
Johnny Ljunggren, Navtek AS