AW: [AGENT++] newbie: How to send trap via agent++?

Eggers, Henning Henning.Eggers at plath.de
Tue Feb 27 09:53:17 CET 2007

> > I'm tempted to just use the snmp++ sample code but I have been
> > *advised* that the agent++ package will provide me with advantages
> > over the snmp++ code.  Are there advantages?
>
> If your application just has to send a trap (as you wrote above) and
> doesn't have to respond to any manager requests, you should
> use snmp++.
> If you need a real agent, you should use agent++.

And I do not tire of saying, that traps should _never_ be the only
source of information about an event or state because they can get lost!
Traps should only be used to trigger the manager to request the details
of the event immediately. Any information found in traps should _always_
be accessible through get requests as well.

I know there are not a few MIBs out there that grossly violate this
design rule but they are a pain to handle!

So, there really is no choice wether to use Agent++ or Snmp++, unless
the sending of traps and the servicing of requests is done by separate
applications on the same device.

Just my 50 ct.

Henning