[AGENT++] Trap destinations

Frank Fock fock at agentpp.com
Thu May 10 23:17:40 CEST 2007

Hi Mike,

michael.carr at bt.com wrote:
> All, a few questions on this...
>
> From what I understand the SNMP-TARGET-MIB and SNMP-NOTIFICATION-MIB
> hold the necessary information for a master agent to send traps to a
> management application.  The example master agent code contains a cold
> start trap with a local host address, this can be changed but means it
> is hard coded.

Yes, the example master agent hard codes an example destination,
but such an approach should not be used for production.

> - What is the normal way to set the destination of such a cold start
> trap given that the two MIBs I mentioned before contain the destinations
> for traps and, if I understand it correctly, those MIBs are contained in
> the master and can't be set by a management application until the master
> is up and running by which point it should have already attempted to
> send its cold start trap (but to where?).  It seems a bit like "which
> came first, the chicken or the egg", have I misunderstood how it should
> be done?

The first coldStart will probably never be sent. There are generally
two approaches:

(1) Configure the target and notification MIBs and save the
agents configuration persistently. At next cold start the config
will be there when the trap is to be sent.

(2) Read a separate configuration (text) file and initialize
the MIBs' content from there.

> - Along similar lines, if I know some destination addresses for
> management applications and they could be read by the master from a file
> and added to the previously mentioned MIBs by it.  Would that be the
> right way to do it?

I could be. It depends on your requirements (for example
this would not allow to change the destinations at runtime).

Cheers,