[AGENT++] Trap destinations

michael.carr at bt.com michael.carr at bt.com
Wed May 16 08:36:57 CEST 2007

Thanks Frank, a load more questions though...

What exactly does "allow_agentx_tcp_from_localhost" do?  Does it mean
that all communication between the subagent and master is via TCP as
opposed to UDP?  (Can it be that simple to get SNMP via TCP?!)  Can I
remove the call without affecting the master/subagent?  With v3 still
enabled and removing the call it appears to have no effect on our target
Linux but causes the master to assert and so crash on Windows when the
subagent runs up.

With v3 disabled which of the "standard" MIBs are really needed?  I'm
still trying to get to as small a foot print size as possible.  It looks
as though the snmp_target_mib, snmp_notification_mib & sysGroup calls
are the only ones I need, is that correct?  Or are the other ones,
snmpGroup and TestAndIncr(oidSnmpSetSerialNo), required for things to
function correctly?  The first definitely looks like I don't need it but
the second I'm unsure on.  I can just comment them out and try but I'd
like to get confirmation of sorts that it won't cause a problem further
down the line.

With v3 disabled it also disables the trap class in the code generated
by AgenPro 2, is this correct or an error?  If not an error why dose it
get disabled?  It seems odd for it to do that especially since I can
remove the #ifdef'd around the trap class and it works ok.  Again, this
may be a false lead and problems may surface further down the line?

Thanks,
Mike