[AGENT++] Agent++ does not separate MIBs during code generation

Sellinath, Juergen juergen.sellinath at thalesatm.com
Wed Apr 9 11:15:20 CEST 2008

Hi Frank,
Thanks for the quick answer. I never deleted MIBs from our repository, I just added new modules from time to time and modified existing MIBs.

I tried to use AgenPro 2.7 to fix the repository as you explained - without success. A dialog opened that listed five MIB modules that could not get fixed and some explanation. I had problems to understand what is meant by "move from the repository", because there was no target given the files should be moved to. I had to guess whether the text meant "remove" (thus being a typo) or whether something like "backup" was meant. Anyway, I tried both, but neither worked.

Then I checked out the file MODULE.IDS from clearcase - thus it became writeable.  A retry of reselecting the repository suceeded - there was no problem announced any longer and the problems seemed to have been fixed by AgenPro. But if I try to open MIBs in AgenPro now nothing happens - AgenPro does not load the MIBs. I had this problem once before and had to recreate the repository, i.e. deleting all binary files and importing MIB module by MIB module - extremely annoying.

I would be happy to have a mode of MIBDesigner and AgenPro that completely avoids the use of a repository and does parse the textual representations of the mibs on each load instead. Of course the tools would get slowed down, but the loss of time would probably be significantly smaller than periodically recreating the repository.

BTW (and a little bit of-topic): I had a look to the textual representations of one of the mibs AgenPro complained about. I found that the definition of leafs I added to tables are not at the end of the former definition of the table but at the beginning of the file like

---8<--------------------------------------
Definition MibModule
Definition Table X::leaf G
Definition Textual representations
Definition Table X
Definition Entry X
Definition Sequence X
Definition Table X::leaf A
Definition Table X::leaf B
Definition Table X::leaf C
Definition Table X::leaf D
Definition Table X::leaf E
Definition Table X::leaf F
---8<--------------------------------------

maybe it's worth a look in your code to fix it before the 2.7 release.

Regards,

Jürgen

Jürgen Sellinath
SW-Engineer

Thales ATM GmbH
Air Systems Division
Lilienthalstrasse 2
70825 Korntal-Münchingen
Germany
Tel.: + 49 711 86032 - 222
Fax.: + 49 711 86032 - 9222
Register of Trade HRB 207307, District Court Stuttgart