[AGENT++] Mac OSX SNMP++ & libdes Makefile Contribution?

Xochitl Lunde Xochitl_Lunde at tripplite.com
Thu Feb 12 00:25:02 CET 2009

> > 1. I am building snmp++ and agent++ with _NO_THREADS defined.  I have
>
> this is not necessary, as threads can be enabled.
>
> > undefined HAVE_GETHOSTBYADDR_R and HAVE_GETHOSTBYNAME_R.  I think
there

> Yes, but this should not be a proble,.

I believe I now have working configuration and makefiles for the libdes
and SNMP++ libraries on Mac OSX.  Agent++ is still bombing out on me with
the errors discussed earlier.
Should / could patch files be submitted to this mailing list?  I would
like to return the changes to the list for review and potential sharing if
the powers-that-be offer their blessing.

- IMO, Minimal changes to code:
        - 1 line in des.h
        - 1 line in asn1.h
        - 1 line change and 6 lines added in config_snmp_pp.h
- Directories built are:
        - libdes
        - snmp++
        - snmp++/src
        - snmp++/consoleExamples
- SNMP++ static and dynamic library (*.dylib) are built.

I have tested snmpGet very, very briefly on the command line using:

$> ./snmpGet <ip> -C<community>

I am not very awesome with raw makefiles, so all of my build modifications
are in the form of 'autogen.sh' + 'configure.ac' + 'Makefile.am'.  I tried
to get it to build starting from your 'Makefile.platform' style, but it
seemed to always build *.so libraries instead of *.dylib and then complain
that the architecture was wrong when trying to link. Some of my build
behavior is a little different than what was dictated by your makefiles. I
think most of the odd behavior could be cleaned up with a little research
and practice on my part.

- Automake replaces the '+' sign with '_' creating unanticipated errors,
so the '+' signs have been truncated. The library is named 'libsnmp'
instead of 'libsnmp++'.
- Makefiles will put the completed snmp++ library in snmp++/src/.lib
directory, instead of the desired snmp++/lib directory. This is sort of
annoying because '.lib' directory will not display in Finder.

Additional build notes:

- Configure tests for the functions:
        - gethostbyaddr_r
        - gethostbyname_r
        - localtime_r
        - crypt
- Configure displays the warnings about missing these functions.
- SNMP_PP_NAMESPACE is set
- _NO_THREADS is not defined
- The Mac in use for all of this has an intel processor.

Would this mailing list have an interest in receiving patch files and
build files for this set of changes?  If so, I will post these
modifications here.  These would be my first cut of makefiles which seem
to build the two libraries on the Mac, but as I said earlier, I have only
done a very simple test of execution.  Thank you for reading and
considering.

Xochitl Lunde