[AGENT++] License & maintenance questions

Jens Rehsack rehsack at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 31 14:07:16 CEST 2010

Hi *,

I already asked on sales at agentpp.com but didn't receive an
answer, maybe I'm right to ask here.

In our project we want to replace net-snmp with a better snmp
daemon, and one of the solutions we're looking at is AGENT++
(or snmp4j).

The license of AGENT++ is a bit confusing - I interpret the
conditions that I would be allowed to use AGENT++ freely in
any project but I'm not allowed to tell anybody (and must hide
the dependency). Further, the resulting tool must not be able
to be used to add any snmp table (otherwise it could be
interpreted as snmp tool) and (for packaging) we're not allowed
to distribute compiled versions of agent++ (read: we must link
static).

Wouldn't it more reasonable to choose a better license form,
e.g. "GPL or commercial" like SNMP4J-AgentJMX?

Concerning the maintenance: I've seen several patches reported
on the ML - but no link to an repository where they are committed.
Does it mean, when we choose to build a solution based on
AGENT++, we need to use the base from 2005 and check the entire
ML for patches, review the patches and apply the reasonable ones?

Thanks in advance for the answers,
Jens Rehsack