[AGENT++] License & maintenance questions

Jens Rehsack rehsack at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 31 20:58:48 CEST 2010

2010/8/31 Frank Fock <fock at agentpp.com>:
> Hi Jens,

Hi Frank,

thanks for your quick response,

> The AGENT++ license does not permit any usage of
> the API to build another (derived) API regardless
> whether free or commercial. However, the
> open source as well as the commercial and closed
> source usage is freely permitted, if the API is
> used to build an executable (could be also
> linked as DLL/shared object).

But it wouldn't be allowed to package snmp++ and
agent++ in pkgsrc (an open source platform independent
packaging system - see http://www.pkgsrc.org/)?

Our primary intension was to create an snmp daemon
which delivers the statistics we get from libstatgrab.
Our effort to port this to the desired platforms is
ongoing and we submit all patches upstream.
Finally we want to release the snmp daemon as
open source (so far the current idea of the team ^^).
Can we do this with the current license of agent++?

> Switching to a GPL-License will not be backward
> compatible for closed source projects.

Apache 2.0 would allow to redistribute closed source
derivates. GPL was just an example.

> The last release of AGENT++ is from 2009-05-29.
> (The download page contained a typo).
> A new release is currently under preparation.
> The code is freezed and ready for packaging,
> however we need to analyze a new bug report
> first whether it affects the new release.

Sure :)

> With commercial support, you have access to
> the JIRA system with all open and solved
> issues.

That's a big plus.

We encountered a problem right now: when we add
a 'sleep(10)' before we fill a process table (we copied
the dynamic table example for testing), a second
request to another table is completely blocked.
Is this solvable or is it a "works as designed" issue?
I don't need to know now the solution, just if this
can be fixed.
I ask, because we expect blocking system calls on
machines under heavy load and want to be sure that
they will finally answer some basic tables, as for load
or memory consumption or process list.

> Best regards,
> Frank

Best regards,