[AGENT++] Agent++ license clarification

Frank Fock fock at agentpp.com
Fri Oct 9 02:37:40 CEST 2015

Hi Torsten,

Which source files are you referring to?

The AGENT++ sources are released under the Apache 2 license.
There are a few files, however, that have been generated based
on templates licensed under that Apache 2 license using
the genclass of the libg++. The resulting code files are originally
licensed under the Library GNU Public License 2 as stated
by genclass in the generated files.

Although the sources are included in the AGENT++ distribution,
the genclass generated files can be and should be treated as
if there were functions of the libc++ dynamically used by the
final executable.
You may ask very rightly "why?". The answer is a bit technical
and historic:

The genclass mechanism was created because the g++ template
engine was not able to generate container classes in a proper way
as nowadays provided by the C++ standard library.

Therefore the code provided by those source files is indeed
virtually part of the C++ library but is used by AGENT++ like
one would use a C++ standard library collection class when the
compiler would expand the collection template on a concrete
AGENT++ class during compile time.

This is exactly the use of those files in the AGENT++ library.
As a consequence, those files do not impose the requirement
to license any of the other AGENT++ sources under the (L)GPL.
Otherwise, this would be also the fact for any sources that use
the (GNU) C++ standard library.

The old genclass code has not been replaced by C++ standard lib
collections yet, because of backward compatibility reasons.
In a next major version, this break/change will be done though.

Does this help?