[AGENT++] Problem in sending snmp V3 inform when using cloned new user.

jc rani ranisastra at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 06:57:35 CEST 2015

Hi all,

I created a new user say “clonedUser” by cloning from an already existing
user. Then I configured this new user in my target mib and gave access to
this user by configuring in vacm mib.

Now, when I tried to send snmp V3 inform to my remote receiver, the snmpV3
informs were not working.

The following are my observations:

1)Auto discovery happens and remote receiver’s engine id say
“remoteEngineId” is learnt.

2) After that, while processing the message, the unknown security name
error is thrown. Through the code walkthrough I could see that in
USM::get_user(), the following checks are done before throwing the unknown
security name

A)     Firstly, In UsmUserTable, an entry with “combination of security
 name (clonedUser) and remote receiver’s engine id (remoteEngineId)” is
checked.

-          In my case, an entry with security name is found but not with
the remoteEngineId.

So entry with the “combination of clonedUser and remoteEngineid” is not
found in usmUserTable.

B)      Secondly, In usmUserNameTable -  an entry with the “security
name(clonedUser)” is checked.

-          In my case, an entry with security name is not present in
usmUserNameTable.

C)      Thirdly, In usmUserTable – an entry is checked for “security
name(clonedUser)” is checked. And if present, then engine id length is
checked for null. If length is not null then unknown user error is set,
else, auto discovery process is invoked.

-          In my case, an entry is present with the “security name
(clonedUser)” but the engine Id length is not null(since the learnt
engineId is “remoteEngineId”). So unknown user error is thrown and as a
result unknown security name error is set.

My Question:

After successful auto discovery, a new entry is not added with learnt
remote engine id automatically to usmUserTable as mentioned in step2.  Is
there a mechanism to add the new entry automatically to the usmUserTable in
this scenario? How to make snmpV3 inform to work for the cloned user?