[SNMP4J] SMI parser with SNMP4J

Harrie Hazewinkel harrie at lisanza.net
Fri Oct 15 20:21:58 CEST 2004

Hi all,

I would like to intriduce mysel. I am Harrie and have
written also some time ago an SNMP stack in Java and
an SMI parser.

Currently, I have the SMI parser open-source and you could
get information of it at http://smi4j.dev.java.net/
IMHO, this SMI parser could be usefull for integration with
SNMP4J as such that they are seperate packages, but APIs
of SMI4J are useful for SNMP4J. A final goal is many APIs
in SMI4J to allow direct use from java based SNMP packages.

Currently, there is only a parser for MIB modules
available, but I already have other parts ready to go.
Only by migrating my home project to java.net I have
re-done some things a little bit different. The rest of
the code should catch up before I commit it.

One of the things I recently did was changing the way
I did the reporting of errors. I started using the
jave.util.logging package. Which I beleive was a good move.
I only noticed now that SNMP4J does make use of log4j.

What do people think?WOuld it be better to use log4j?
As for the levels I believe so, since I 'abuse' the
java.util.logging.Level-s a litte.

What kind of usage would people like to see from an SMI parser?
I guess,
- generating application code/stubs for a manager and /or
       agent application
- testing MIB modules for correctness
- a MIB tree browser (I have one already, see above)

I am looking forward to hear from you as users of SNMP4J.

regards,
Harrie