[SNMP4J] Agent(X)-API status

Gregor Rosenauer gregor.rosenauer at siemens.com
Wed Oct 20 13:12:24 CEST 2004

Hello,

First of all thanks for building a very promising, open and free
SNMP-stack for Java - this is really needed, and SNMP4J seems very
powerful already.

Now I am interested in using SNMP4J for a project and would like to know
the current status of AgentX-implementation, because I'd like to connect
to a running snmp-agent (in particular the ucdsnmp-package on Linux)  as
a subagent.

According to the prospect, this is planned, but no timeframe is given.
In a message from August Frank mentioned that agent-support is under
development, and there were 2 people working on this externally, but
there have been no news on this since.

If this is not planned for the immediate future, how hard would it be
to extend the API to allow for subagent-functionality (as opposed to
standard agent-functionality, which is fortunately already being worked
on) ?

Thanks for any information and for the great support so far,
Gregor