[SNMP4J] How to discover SNMP agents within a network segment

Rodolfo Josÿffffe9 Castellanos Jaimes rodolfojcj at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 23 04:15:47 CET 2005

Hi to everyone.

The situation is the following. I am building a NMS
(Network Management System) Java application using
SNMP4J that needs to "discover" the manageable SNMP
agents in any of the versions v1, v2c, v3. This agents
are actually Cisco Switchs, Cisco Routers, PCs running
a SNMP daemon and could be others.

The conditions are these:

- It is required to discover only the agents within
the same network segment in which is running the NMS
app.
- At the beginning is unknown which of the three
versions of SNMP (v1, v2c, v3) are supported by the
agent.
- The NMS must be a threelingual application in order
to discover any agent independently of its SNMP
version.

My questions are the following:

1. How could I use SNMP4J Java package to make the
discovery ?
2. Given a reachable IPAddress in the network segment,
is it strictly necessary that the community (in case
of v1 or v2c) or the authorization pass phrase, the
auth protocol and the security name (in case of v3) be
specified in order to discover the agent ? Or is there
another way to discover the agent without it ?

Thanks in advance by your attention and your answers.
Rodolfo José Castellanos Jaimes.