[SNMP4J] How to discover SNMP agents within a network segment

Deon van der Merwe dvdm at truteq.co.za
Thu Feb 24 06:41:42 CET 2005

Hi,

Rodolfo Josÿffffe9 Castellanos Jaimes wrote:
 > 1. How could I use SNMP4J Java package to make the
 > discovery ?

You can simple build GET request and send them out to all the IP's.

 > 2. Given a reachable IPAddress in the network segment,
 > is it strictly necessary that the community (in case
 > of v1 or v2c) or the authorization pass phrase, the
 > auth protocol and the security name (in case of v3) be
 > specified in order to discover the agent ? Or is there
 > another way to discover the agent without it ?

This is where it will get interesting for you... the community
(I have only worked with v1 so far...) details will have to be
correct in order for the agent on the other side to reply.  If
it is not correct, you will not get a response, and then will
not know if there is an agent on the IP.