[SNMP4J] Could I "trust" to the SysDescr

Alfredo Rico alfredo_rico at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 24 08:51:00 CET 2005

Hello to everyone!

Suppose that I have a device running an SNMP agent (in
any of its versions) . This device could be a switch,
a router, a pc running O.S. Windows XP, a GNU/Linux
box runnig snmpd, etc.

I would like to determine which type of device is the
SNMP agent running on.

For example, I would like to get an answer like "This
device is a Switch" or, more detailed "This device is
a Cisco Switch Catalyst 2950". Or something like "This
device is a Sun SPARC Microsystem workstation"

The idea that I have now is get the value (using
SNMP4J, of course) of the SysDescr variable. But I'm
not sure if I can answers like the above ones taking
the value of SysDescr.

For example, in an Cisco Switch I get the following
data, but it doesn't say me that it is a switch:

OID: .1.3.6.1.2.1.1.1.0
Value: Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software
IOS (tm) C2900XL Software (C2900XL-C3H2S-M), Version
12.0(5)XU, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Compiled Mon 03-Apr-00 16:37 by swati

What could you suggest me ??

Thanks