[SNMP4J] Could I "trust" to the SysDescr

PHIL BERGSTRESSER phil.bergstresser at adtran.com
Thu Feb 24 16:06:25 CET 2005

Alfredo,

There is NO standard about what sysDescr will actually contain. It is simply a description that the product vendor thinks useful. Firmware versions and copyright notices are examples of the variety of not so useful data you may get from that OID. Often there are vendor specific OIDs that contain that kind of information, as well as model numbers of the IP addressed device and sub components it proxies for. Even then, you have to know the meaning of the product numbers of each vendor to determine what you have located.

You are out of luck hoping for such a unified world. By experimentation, you may perceive that the product number is embedded in the sysDescr string as in your Cisco example, along with other potentially useful or useless info. But it won't ever report what you want: like I'm a switch; I'm a PC; I'm a printer; in a consistent machine readable code.

SNMP is simple, but not the application of it. Network management is complex because of this simplicity which allows for diversity by vendors. This freedom promotes competitive products with unique qualities that are for the customer's benefit. It was always intended to be this way. The standards provide a methodology for interoperability, not a limited straightjacket which would hinder imaginative development of new technology.

The IF-MIB (RFC2863) has an ifType field that was defined to describe interfaces on a product. This has been standardized into a textual convention that is frequently updated as new interface technologies are invented. It is maintained by the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) in a separate MIB they are responsible for. There is no equivalent for a product type which is what you would like. After 15 years, it doesn't look like there is any move on to create one. Sorry.

I think you will have to use the sysObjectID to identify the vendor and unique product identifier, and build a management table (database?) that you use to define this product type as you learn it. Many vendors of SNMP products provide some form of Network Management software that does this implicitly for their own product line. They may or may not have any compatibility unless they share a common NMS platform like HP OpenView. And then they have done the work, and not you.

Phil
Phil Bergstresser
Design Engineer
SNMP Network Management