[SNMP4J] Receiving V3 Traps

Konicki, Jason jkonicki at harris.com
Tue Jun 7 17:14:01 CEST 2005

In my application, I only want to receive v3 traps with the exact match
of authentication password and type, privacy password and type, and
security name.  But I noticed it only checks that the security name is a
match. So I can still receive traps if the security name is a match?  Is
this proper functionality? or am I missing something?

It seems to work when I specify all the parameters, but I invalidate the
password on the authentication or the privacy. Since the trap is
ignored.

i.e. Here is a sample listener code that I want to match parameters
with: org.snmp4j.tools.console.SnmpRequest -u testUser -a MD5 -A
SomeAuthPassword -x DES -X SomePrivPassword -Ol xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/163

Here is the only trap sending code I want to work:
org.snmp4j.tools.console.SnmpRequest -p TRAP -v 3 -u testUser -a MD5 -A
SomeAuthPassword -x DES -X SomePrivPassword xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/163
"1.3.6.1.2.1.1.3.0={t}0"

Here is a variation that still receives the trap:
org.snmp4j.tools.console.SnmpRequest -p TRAP -v 3 -u testUser
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/163 "1.3.6.1.2.1.1.3.0={t}0"

Any help would be great, Thanks.
-Jason