[SNMP4J] TestAgent

Kevin J. Schmidt kjschmidt at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 14:24:06 CEST 2005

Hi Elise,

I'm not really sure if the link you provided is legitimate or not.
While I'm a fan of all things open source including software,
documentation, books, etc., unfortunately this book was not released
as open source or anything else. As Frank pointed out it is
copyrighted material. I realize you didn't post the content to the Web
and you are only trying to provide a resource for people to learn
about SNMP. I just wanted to chime in and add my $.02 worth.

While I don't want to sound like a salesman, what I have found to be
useful, as far as online books go, is the Safari online bookshelf
(http://www.safaribooksonline.com/). The last time I checked you can
get accounts for as little as $10.00 per month. This gives you access
to O'Reilly, Addison Wesley, and other book publishers. I constantly
use Safari because it makes searching for technical topics very easy -
you search by title, content and you can even limit the search to just
source code.

<shameless_plug>
At any rate, the 2nd edition of "Essential SNMP" will be out later
this year. It has been updated, revised and greatly expanded. One
thing I did was add a chapter introducing SNMP4J for those who are
interested in maybe making the leap from Perl to something a bit more
robust, like Java.
</shameless_plug>

Thanks!
-Kevin

On 6/14/05, Frank Fock <fock at agentpp.com> wrote:
> Hi Elise,
>
> I think the book has been illegally put on the Web (just read the
> Copyright section).
> Please do not post such links here! The copyright needs to be respected -
> otherwise you bite the hand that feeds you.
> Since one of the authors of "Essential SNMP" is member of this list,
> I think he will inform O'Reilly about this site.
>
> Regarding your questions:
>
> Elise.Atkins at tavve.com wrote:
>
> >I am trying to use the TestAgent and have a couple of questions.
> >
> >1. Where can I find a description of what the bootCounterFile and the
> >configFile should look like?
> >

> Those files contain serialized Java objects and are created by the
> TestAgent
> automatically.
>
> >2. An example of a snmp query that the TestAgent would respond too.
> >

> SnmpRequest -p GETNEXT -v 2c -c public localhost/4700 1.3.6

Kevin J. Schmidt
<kjschmidt at gmail.com>