[SNMP4J] SNMP doubts

Bala Subramaniam bala_j at rediffmail.com
Wed Mar 30 18:19:59 CEST 2005

  Hi,

  I am a newbie to SNMP . I have some basic doubts on SNMP .

  (1) Can SNMP monitor only devices or shall we use to monitor some specific processes of an application . I mean can i make it to monitor cpu usage,load average of my application ?
  (2) If it is possible to monitor application through SNMP how my application will communicate with the SNMP agent?

  (3) weather application will send data on request of agent or automatically at some specific interval the data can be sent?

  Currently i am able to retreive information about my system using SNMP4J . But i would want to provide SNMP monitoring facility to my software . Any help would be grateful.

Thanks,

Bala.J