[SNMP4J] Incorrectly formatted SNMPv1

Bellegante John-WLJB17 John.Bellegante at motorola.com
Thu Oct 6 19:17:38 CEST 2005

Hi All,

I am seeing an issue where I am receiving SNMPv1 traps, and they are being
tossed because the timestamp data is not type TimeTicks.  I do agree that
this is an incorrectly formatted trap, and it is not following the protocol.
In this particular case the data is an unsigned integer and set to 0 because
it is not used.  I think it would be better to NOT toss it as long it is an
UnsignedInteger32, but log an error that the type was NOT TimeTicks.
Another option might be to throw an exception all the way back to the
application and allow the implementer to handle it however they see fit.  My
goal is to still have access to the data in this trap even if it is
formatted incorrectly.  What are your thoughts/comments on this.  Do you
still think it is necessary to toss the entire trap?

Thanks!