[SNMP4J] Any plan for the handling of object names?

Frank Fock fock at agentpp.com
Tue Oct 11 09:40:40 CEST 2005

Hi,

There are no plans to integrate a MIB compiler. The reasons is:

It is not a good design pratice to include MIB specification at runtime
into an agent nor the manager. Instead convenient object name to OID
mappings should be done at compile time. So if a compiler would be
included into the package, this would cause a overhead for most users.

What is the solution?

You can use JASMI (http://www.mibdesigner.com) if you need runtime
MIB information though. If you do not implement a generic SNMP tool
like a browser, then using MIB information at compile time is recommended.
A highly customizable MIB compiler and code generator like AgenPro
(http://www.agentpp.com) can do this job.

Besides the above you can also find other MIB compilers for Java like
Mibble, SMI4J, etc.