[SNMP4J] Controlling which local address to use

Deon van der Merwe dvdm at truteq.co.za
Wed Oct 26 14:16:07 CEST 2005

Hi Gil,

Here is a bit of code that we use for this.  We normally either bind
on "localhost" or all interfaces.  Should work for as well (I think)...

   protected java.lang.String mAddress = null;
   protected int mPort = 0;
   protected org.snmp4j.TransportMapping mServerSocket = null;
   protected org.snmp4j.Snmp mSNMP = null;

// read my configuration (like assign "mAddress" and "mPort")

   if (mAddress == null) {
     mServerSocket = new
org.snmp4j.transport.DefaultUdpTransportMapping(new
org.snmp4j.smi.UdpAddress(mPort));
   } else {
     mServerSocket = new
org.snmp4j.transport.DefaultUdpTransportMapping(new
org.snmp4j.smi.UdpAddress(java.net.InetAddress.getByName(mAddress), mPort));
   }
   mSNMP = new org.snmp4j.Snmp(mServerSocket);
   mSNMP.addCommandResponder(this);
   mServerSocket.listen();

At 10:40 AM 10/26/2005, Gil Steiner wrote:
>Hi,
>

>I would like to use a different (pre-defined) IP address as a local address
>when sending SNMP requests. In other words, I would like to bind the socket
>to a given address instead of using the 'default' IP address.
>
>I know that the 'bind' method supports such an option (by supplying an
>address that is not null) but my question is how I can control this from
>within SNMP4J. The bind method is not used directly from SNMP4J.
>

>+gil

-Deon